Attention: All Loring Master Class seats have been filled at this time. If you wish to be added to our waiting list, please register below.
This 2-day event is for roasting professionals who are interested in increasing their proficiency with Loring roasters. There will be a strong focus on profile development and how to maximize the unique features of Loring roasters to get the most from your coffees. The course will include interactive presentations on topics such as roasting theory, and Loring roaster thermodynamics. In addition, live roasting demonstrations and coaching. This is the only time multiple Loring Certified Trainers have joined forces to offer a combined class, and a first-time ever event at Loring HQ. Class size is limited to 12 attendees to maximize interaction and optimize your learning experience. We expect this event to sell out quickly. Register Now
8-9 a.m. | Loring Factory Tour
9-11 a.m., and 11 a.m.-1 p.m. | Rotations:
- 2 hr: Principles of Heat Transfer: Heat Transfer Principles Relating to the Loring w/ Rob Hoos
- 2 hr: Developing Coffees: Four Variations of the Same Coffee w/ Michael de Renouard
2-4 p.m., and 4-6 p.m. | Rotations:
- 2 hr: We Welcome our Robot Overlords: Designing with Roast Architect and Automation w/ All Instructors
- 2 hr: Cupping Student Coffees: Cupping and Feedback w/ Robbie Roberts and Rob Hoos
8-10 a.m., and 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Rotations:
- 2 hr: Designing Coffee from the Ground Up: Flavor and Process w/ Rob Hoos | From the Business Perspective w/ Robbie Roberts
- 2 hr: Tasting the Profile: Cupping Day 1 Experiments and Discussion w/ Michael de Renouard
1-2 p.m., and 2-4 p.m. | Rotations:
- 2 hr: Roasting Styles and Experiences: Experiences from Consulting w/ Michael de Renouard and Rob Hoos
- 2 hr: Operations and Maintenance Best Practices w/ Robbie Roberts and Scott Robinson
* Subject to change without notice.
There are no hard prerequisites, but this course is specifically designed for coffee professionals looking to take their Loring roasting experience to the next level. Prior production experience on a Loring roaster is highly recommended. This is not an introduction to roasting course. This course is not affiliated with the SCA learning program.
All sessions are held at Loring Smart Roast headquarters. Loring is located in Santa Rosa, California, 50 miles North of San Francisco in the heart of Sonoma wine country. Loring Smart Roast, Inc. 3200 Dutton Ave Suite 413 Santa Rosa California 95407 (50 miles North of San Francisco)
Rob is an independent coffee roasting consultant as well as director of coffee for Nossa Familia (Portland). He has served as an SCA Lead Instructor for Roaster classes as well as a member of the Roasters Guild Education Committee. He’s also author of “Modulating the Flavor Profile of Coffee: One Roaster’s Manifesto”.
Michael de Renouard
Michael is Co-founder at THE FACTORY Roast Lab Copenhagen. He has been an SCA trainer since 2007, and an independent roast consultant since 2014. Michael has been roasting on Loring equipment since 2012. His production roasting experience includes Kontra Coffee (Copenhagen) and Solberg & Hansen (Oslo).
Robbie has been roasting since 1991, and he went on to found Joe Van Gogh Coffee. He is Loring’s first paying customer and bought his Kestrel 15 years ago – it is still humming along and is a workhorse in support of his businesses today.