Production & Materials Department
Reports To: Materials Manager & Production Manager
This is a full-time Buyer position
Under the direction of the Materials Manager, this position will be responsible for placing orders for raw materials and services to be incorporated into production and/or shop operations.
The person in this position will need to ensure company’s suppliers are delivering the required direct and indirect materials on time, to specification and/or drawing with no quality defects, in the most appropriate quantities and at the most competitive price.
This person must demonstrate proven successful negotiating skills to purchase and replenish multiple product lines with challenging deadlines. Also, this person must demonstrate the ability to remain focused on work with multiple interruptions daily.
This position requires knowledge of the procurement process, effective time management skills and commitment to completion of tasks in a timely manner. A sense of urgency is required to meet deadlines and achieve prompt, accurate results.
- Negotiate with qualified suppliers to obtain the lowest total cost for components and services, within acceptable lead times.
- Assist in cost analysis and the development of long-term purchase agreements and terms based on quality, price, lot sizes and delivery terms as defined internally.
- Generate purchase orders to maintain a continuous supply of materials and avoid disruptions in manufacturing.
- Maintain confirmed order dates, delivery updates and price changes, addressing any delivery and stock issues on a regular basis. Expedite purchase orders as required.
- Identify and resolve supply chain related issues in an effort to increase overall efficiency and productivity.
- Coordinate the return of non-conforming material to suppliers for rework or credit, as required.
- Develop and maintain an organized process for purchasing supplies, consumables and other non-inventory items.
- Research, prepare and issue bid specifications to potential suppliers and follow up as required.
- Assist Managers with the monitoring and evaluation of slow, dead, and excess inventory.
- Where possible, recommend component standardization in order to create economies of scale and develop potential cost savings.
- Identify opportunities to implement process enhancements to streamline inventory management and replenishment.
Background / Experience
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience in a manufacturing environment is strongly preferred
- Minimum of 3 years purchasing experience required
- Familiarity with MRP concepts is required
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills, including attention to detail
- A self-starter who can work independently and follow through, with limited supervision
- PC proficient: familiar with MS Office suite of applications
Physical Activity and Demands:
- Able to sit for extended periods of time, walk, stand, climb, reach
- Must be able to lift at least 75lbs and occasionally exert up to 100lbs of force
- Visual acuity, finger dexterity, color discernment
- Able to wear prescribed personal protective equipment and appropriate clothing
- Occasionally work in conditions typical of a manufacturing environment, including noise, extreme temperatures and humidity, odors, dust, etc.
Loring Smart Roast builds the greenest coffee roasters on the planet for Roastmasters who want to produce the best tasting coffee from every bean, consistently. Loring is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org